Choosing a Name - Emma Lynn

by - 2:38 PM


Recently we found out that both my sister and sister-in-law are expecting. We are thrilled that Emma will have two very close cousins :) And of course how great is it that I will get to snuggle newborns soon again!

As I was searching for my trusty "Baby Wise" and "Baby Whisperer" books (these were my GO TO books during pregnancy and still now) to pass along to my sister, I came across a large baby names book that Andrew and I purchased when we found out I was expecting.

I've been asked since Emma was born what the meaning of her name is... and the funny thing was I didn't even know! I felt so ashamed, but it was so hard for Andrew and I to agree on a name in the first place, so the meaning of her name was really just an afterthought. I never anticipated so much negotiation would go  into finding the right name for our baby, but it felt like the hardest detail when preparing for Emma’s arrival.

We landed on Emma (with much objection from me – I hated how popular it was!) but because I could pair my mother’s middle name, Lynn, so beautifully with it, the name grew on me quickly. I was given my grandmother’s name as my middle name, and always cherished it, so I wanted Emma to have the same sentiment.

As I looked through this huge book of 100,000 plus baby names, I noticed we didn’t even have Emma's name circled. This 20-dollar book was pretty useless to us it seemed.



To ease my earlier guilt I decided to star the book and make a mental note of what Emma meant, so that I wouldn’t be so caught off guard next time. 

In the end, Emma Lynn is the most perfect and most beautiful name we could have ever hoped for. So to my two sisters, I say good luck, I can’t wait to hear the cute little names you choose! Xo

You May Also Like

0 comments