Summer Adventures with Emma

by - 10:28 AM

Before Emma turned 4 months old we took her to the beach (more then a dozen times), camping, and flying across the country.

Some would say I am crazy, others "adventurous" but I call it livin' life with my babe. When Emma was born I needed to get out, experience summer and enjoy God's creation. I knew outings would change when we had a baby, but I was determined to make it work and still enjoy time with family and friends.

I've tried to compile some notes and tips on traveling with your babe. I'll have to break it up into three posts, starting with...

BEACH DAYS!!

Emma was 4 weeks old when she had her first trip to the beach. Here are some things I found useful for her many beach trips:

1. Make sure YOU are comfortable.
I wore a maternity suit (with a comfy t-shirt and shorts in the beginning) that I had from doing water yoga when pregnant. The suit made me feel comfortable in my "new body" and covered me up well. I think it is important to feel at ease with yourself before walking into a new adventure with your baby - if your relaxed, they will be relaxed. One of my favourite bloggers, Lindsay at Hello Hue wrote a post on "say no to the frump:: 5+ swimsuits that won't make you miss your teeny bikini this summer." It has great links to some great suits that will make you feel good about being at the beach again.

2. Grab some shade.
When we were first married, Andrew and I purchased a beach shade tent (he is a ginger and I am a marshmallow). We needed protection from the sun. Little did we know how absolutely perfect this tent would be for a baby. Emma would nap under our Coleman Beach Shade the entire time at the beach. Make sure you purchase a tent with UV ray protection like this one. The tent also made a perfect hiding place when I had to nurse Emma on the beach :)

3. Bring a carrier.
My mom or I would wear Emma in a carrier while we set up. This worked perfectly, and would give us more hands to carry our gear down to the beach. We use the Snugli front and back carrier, we love it.

4. Have a buddy with you. (or your cute husband if he is available)
I usually went to the beach with my mom, or sister. Andrew is less fond of the beach, and he was usually working when the waters called my name. Having a "buddy" with me was key. These two LOVED holding Emma if I needed a break. Mostly Emma would just sleep in the tent but if she was ever fussy and I still wanted to get a swim in, these two were willing to hold her as long as I needed.

5. Bring lots of blankets.
To sit on, lay your baby on, wrap your baby up if its chilly, or block the sun.

6. Enjoy it and make memories.
Don't be afraid to take some pictures. We moms shy away from the camera too fast and miss out on cute pictures and fond memories.






You May Also Like

0 comments